If you are pregnant or planning to have a child, you need healthy food more than ever that will boost your immune system and provide you with the energy you need. So be sure to include enough protein, vitamins and minerals in your daily menu. The right types of fats and complex carbohydrates are also essential. But to find out which foods contain the most of these elements, check out the list below. We have compiled the ultimate list of foods to eat during pregnancy. Decryption!
What foods are recommended during pregnancy?
Food is the source of the nutrients you need during pregnancy. But also, it is necessary for the development and health of the baby. Thus, by choosing the right ingredients, you create a healthy environment for both of you, which will make you calm and happy.
Dairy products contain two types of high-quality protein: casein and whey, which are the best dietary source of calcium. These products also provide high amounts of phosphorus, B vitamins, magnesium, and zinc. So be sure to include milk, cheese and yogurt in your menu.
Eating well during pregnancy: Vegetables
Like any other diet, vegetables are essential. They are an excellent vegetable source of fiber, protein, iron, folate and calcium, all of which your body needs in greater quantities during pregnancy. You can choose a different menu every day to get the most benefits from vegetables, but here are the best ones you absolutely must try:
- Sweet potatoes – they are high in beta-carotene, which turns into vitamin A in your body. They also improve digestive health and reduce blood sugar spikes.
- Broccoli – it is a food rich in vitamin C which helps your body assimilate iron. The latter carries oxygen in the blood, the flow of which increases during pregnancy.
- Leafy greens like kale and spinach – These vegetables are an effective way to fill up on vitamins and fight constipation thanks to their high fiber content. Additionally, they have been associated with a reduced risk of low birth weight.
Foods to eat during pregnancy: Salmon
However you prepare it, salmon is a fatty fish rich in omega-3 acids that help build your baby’s brain and eyes. Additionally, salmon is a natural source of vitamin D, which is important for bone health and immune function. Another advantage? This fish can even help increase the duration of gestation!
Foods to eat during pregnancy: Eggs
The chicks develop in the eggs. The egg yolk contains the food that will nourish the embryo as it grows. In other words, eggs contain a little of everything you need during pregnancy: proteins, fats and many vitamins and minerals. Eggs are an excellent source of choline, which plays an important role in baby’s brain development and helps prevent abnormal brain and spinal development.
Lean meat and protein
Meat is an excellent source of high-quality protein that builds baby’s muscles and a good source of B vitamins, iron and zinc. So add lean beef, pork and chicken to your menu. To absorb the most of these elements, consume them with foods rich in vitamin C, such as oranges or bell peppers.
Foods to eat during pregnancy: Fruits
To succeed in a good diet during pregnancy, you must also eat fruit. Here are the best ones in this particular case:
- Berries – Bursting with antioxidants, berries are a great way to start the day or a snack you can eat between meals.
- Avocado – rich in magnesium and folate, this fruit is essential for baby’s development in the first trimester. Omega-3 acids are another important element that contributes to the development of your baby’s skin and brain.
Whole grains and dried fruits
If you are still wondering What to eat during pregnancy keep in mind that whole grains, nuts and dried fruits are among the best foods during pregnancy. They are rich in nutrients and, moreover, they are a natural remedy for constipation.