We all enjoy eating Tikki, which is a crispy, delectable snack, yet many of us are worried about our health and avoid eating it but what if you can eat it and not feel guilty about it? Simply swap a few ingredients and you can still enjoy your tikki guilt-free. Any vegetable can be made into a tikki and people will eat them in a matter of minutes. People don’t typically like quinoa, couscous, or beets, but if you make a tikki with all three, they could enjoy it. Ditch the traditional potato tikki and try these healthy yet delectable tikki recipes that you can enjoy without any guilt. (Also read: Recipe: Make these tasty and healthy recipes from poha )
- Rajma Tikki
(Recipe by Instagram/homecookingshow)
- Rajma Beans – 1 bowl
- Mustard Oil (or oil of your choice – vegetable oil or olive oil)
- Onion – 1 no
- Ginger – 1 tsp (finely chopped)
- Garlic – 1 tsp (finely chopped)
- Green Chili – 1 tsp (finely chopped)
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chili Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
- Potatoes – 2 small
- Kashmiri Chili Powder – 3/4 tsp
- Coriander Leaves
- Mint Leaves
- Bread Crumbs – 3 tsp
1. Soak Rajma Beans for 10 hours (overnight) then pressure cook the rajma beans, till it becomes soft.
2. After the beans are pressure cooked, strain the excess water and blend the rajma beans in a mixer.
3. Take a wide pan sauce. Add little mustard oil, and one chopped onion. Stir well then add one finely chopped ginger, garlic and green chilli.
4. Once the onions turn transparent, add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp chilli powder,1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala and season it with salt. Add a dash of pepper at the last and mix well.
5 . Add the mashed rajma beans and mix well. Add 2 small boiled and cut-up potatoes, 3/4 tsp of Kashmiri chilli powder and mix it well. Turn off the stove and cool the mixture.
6. Mash the potato and knead it with the Tikki mixture. And some fresh cilantro leaves, mint leaves and 3 tsp of bread crumbs. Season it with a little salt and roll the mixture into small patties.
7. Add oil to a wide saucepan. Gently place the takkies in the pan and shallow fry them.
8. Don’t fry them too long, put them in a pan while it is hot. Keep them for a minute on each side and remove the Tikkies. Enjoy soft, delicious Rajma Tikkies at home.
2. Soya Tikki
(Recipe by Instagram/ArchanaShah)
- Soy Tikki
- Soy granules (raw)- 2 tbsp
- Whole wheat Bread crumbs- 1 bread slice
- Cauliflower – ½ bowl
- Peas-2 tsp
- Carrot (grated)- ½ small
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder as per taste
- Mint chutney-1 tsp
- Amchur powder- ½ tsp
- Jeera powder- ½ tsp
- Chaat masala-1/4 tsp
- Turmeric-1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves (chopped)- 2 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Oil- ½ tsp
1. Boil and smash cauliflower in a bowl. Soak soy in hot water for about 5-10 mins and strain.
2. Add all ingredients one by one in a bowl, except bread crumbs and oil.
3. Mix well, and give them the shape of Tikki.
4. Heat and grease the pan with oil. Shallow fry Tikkis from both sides till becomes.
5. Serve hot with mint chutney.
3. Dahi Pudina Tikki
(Recipe by Instagram/therbskitchen)
- 1 cup of hung curds
- 1/2 cup grated paneer
- 3 tsp finely chopped green chillies
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic, ginger
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp Black Salt a pinch salt to taste
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp finely chopped mint leaves
- 1 tsp fennel seeds powder
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp roasted chana dal powder
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Combine the curds, paneer, green chillies, garlic, ginger, sugar, black salt, coriander, mint leaves and fennel seeds powder in a bowl and mix well. Keep aside.
2. Heat the ghee in a pan, add the chana dal powder, curds mixture and corn flour and cook till the mixture thickens and starts to leave the sides of the pan. Keep aside to cool.
3. Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and shape each portion into a round, flat Tikki.
4. Heat the oil in a kadhai on a medium flame and shallow-fry the Tikkis till they are light golden in color from both sides. Drain on absorb paper and serve hot.
4. Mixed Dal Tikki
(Recipe by Instagram/nehasahaya)
- 1 cup mixed sprouts (moong, chana, beans etc.)
- 1/2 cup chana dal (Bengal gram split)
- 2 tbsp masoor dal (split red lentil)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro (dhania)
- 1/2 cup crumbled paneer (cottage cheese)
- 2 tsp green chilli paste (optional)
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tsp oil for greasing and cooking
1. Clean, wash and soak the chana dal and masoor dal in enough water in a bowl for 3 hours. Drain well.
2. Combine the soaked dals, mixed sprouts and 2 cups of water in a deep non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes or till they are half-cooked while stirring occasionally.
3. Strain the dal and sprouts mixture and refresh using cold water.
4. Allow it to cool slightly and blend in a mixer to a coarse mixture, without using water.
5. Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the onions, cilantro, paneer, green chilli paste, salt and 2 tbsp of water and mix well.
6. Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and roll each portion into a flat round Tikki and heat and grease a tava using ½ tsp of oil.
7. Cook each Tikki on a tava till they are evenly cooked from both the sides. Serve hot with chutney.
5. Raw Banana Tikki
(Recipe by Instagram/archanaskitchen)
- 4 Raw Bananas
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (Jeera)
- 1 tablespoon chaat masala powder
- 1 sprig cilantro (dhania) leaves
- 2-3 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon gram flour (besan)
- Salt as per taste
1. Wash the raw bananas and pressure cook them with water till 2 whistles. Remove from heat and allow them to cool. Then peel the skin of the bananas and mash them well.
2. Now add chopped green chillies, chilli powder, coriander leaves, cumin powder, chat masala, grated ginger and salt to taste. Mix them well to get dough-like consistency.
3. Heat the cooking oil on a non-stick pan. Make flat cutlets and roll them in gram flour or semolina, dust off excess flour.
4. Shallow-fry them on the non-stick pan on both sides on low heat till both sides turn brown.
5. Serve the Tikki with hot with roasted tomato sauce or dhaniya pudina chutney.
Follow more stories on Twitter & Facebook