The most wonderful time of the year has arrived and most of us are living in a fairy tale. Responsibilities don’t seem so tedious right now. We even do them without thinking too much about it. The excitement that surrounds the Christmas period is astronomical. Soon, most of us will be taking time off from work and enjoying quality family time: exchanging Christmas gifts, delicious meals and tasting tasty hot chocolates in the morning! Isn’t that remarkable? Because we are already drooling over the idea of a Christmas hot chocolate recipe! By the way, if you want to prepare a special sweet drink on Christmas morning, discover our hot chocolate recipes!
Christmas hot chocolate
Whether it’s with milk, cream, cinnamon, marshmallow or Bourbon (for our adult readers only!), hot chocolate recipes are always fantastic. The end result is magical and gives you that warm, giddy feeling of being protected in the comfort of your own cozy home. Why not make several variations of a hot chocolate for Christmas this year? And if you like them, which you’re sure to find, why not add your own personal touch? Stay tuned and surprise your loved ones by creating a special Christmas hot drink from scratch! In fact, if you’re on a high-fat diet, be sure to check out our keto hot chocolate recipe!
Spicy Christmas Hot Chocolate
This decadent hot chocolate is a real explosion of spices! Although it may seem complex, believe us, it is not that difficult to prepare. Indeed, this is a sweet and savory recipe for a drink so delicious it will blow your mind and make you want to make it again! While the dark chocolate and spices provide a rich flavor, the milk and cream make it thick and wonderfully rich in taste!
- 90 g semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- ⅜ teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
- 1 ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- First, in a medium saucepan, whisk together the chocolate, cocoa, sugar and chilli. Place the saucepan over medium-low heat and whisk until the chocolate begins to melt.
- Slowly add the milk, then the cream while whisking. Then add a cinnamon stick and bring to a simmer.
- Then, remove the pan from the heat. Cover tightly and let infuse for one hour. Whisk in vanilla and taste for sweetness, adding sugar if desired. Finally, reheat over low heat before straining and serving hot.
Homemade vegan marshmallows: a wonderful addition
Marshmallow hot chocolate drinks look so decadent. Sure, in photos they always overdo it, but that doesn’t mean you have to overdo it! Balance is important in a recipe. How about saving the rest of your marshmallows to make a Christmas snowman cupcake? So you won’t have to stuff yourself in the early morning! In fact, when it comes to hot chocolate additions, nothing beats traditional marshmallows or whipped cream. The lightness and creaminess created by melting marshmallows or whipped cream perfectly balances the thickness and richness of the chocolate. And while you can just buy a bag of marshmallows at the supermarket, we have some bad news for our vegan friends. Marshmallows are not vegan! But if you want to drink your hot chocolate with marshmallows, we have good news. So here is a vegan marshmallow recipe that you can make at home!
Recipe vegan homemade marshmallows
Ingredients for a marshmallow Christmas hot chocolate:
- 2 teaspoons vegan butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons of agar powder
- 1 cup cold water, divided
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/8 tsp salt
- First, line an 8×8 pan with foil and grease it with vegan butter. With half of the powdered sugar, dust the mold and set it aside. Then, in the bowl of a stand mixer, sprinkle the agar powder over 1/2 cup of water. Mix gently with the whisk until dissolved, then set aside.
- Then, in a large saucepan, combine the remaining water with the sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a rapid boil without stirring until a candy thermometer reads 120°C.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and carefully put it into the stand mixer. Beat on high speed until the mixture is thick.
- Then, immediately transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and let it sit uncovered for at least 12 hours.
- Finally, take the marshmallows out of the mold and cut them with a knife. Coat each marshmallow with remaining powdered sugar.
Bourbon hot chocolate
But what better time to warm up than Christmas? And what better drink to add to your hot chocolate than Bourbon? Here is a recipe that will make you fall in love with this mixture!
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- cocoa powder soup (1 spoon)
- brown sugar (2 teaspoons)
- ¼ teaspoon salt and vanilla
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 ½ oz bourbon
- To start, in a saucepan, add the milk, cornstarch, and cocoa powder together. Whisk until everything is well mixed.
- Heat over medium-high heat and add brown sugar, salt and chocolate. Stir frequently until the mixture is steaming hot and the chocolate is completely melted.
- Then, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla and bourbon.
- Finally, pour the hot chocolate into a mug and top it with whipped cream and caramel.
- Serve immediately.
Homemade Christmas hot chocolate: decorate as you wish!
American Christmas Hot Chocolate: Enjoy!
Don’t forget to see the Thermomix Christmas hot chocolate recipe!