Migrants sent to New York amid homeless shelter crisis despite no ties

Some of the migrants who Mayor Eric Adams says are overcrowding the city’s homeless shelters have no connection to the Big Apple — but were still directed here by President Biden’s administration, The Post has learned.

Outside a city Department of Homeless Services drop-in center in the Bronx, Veronica Prada, 28, said Wednesday that she, her husband and their four children had left their native Venezuela on April 26 and crossed the US-Mexico border to San Antonio, Texas on July 11.

They were met by Border Patrol agents who took them and other migrants to a processing center where immigration officials gave the family information on how to apply for asylum and an Aug. 23 appointment with an immigration attorney in the Bronx, though Prada told the Post that she and her husband did not ask to go to New York.

A Catholic church in San Antonio gave them food, clothing and other items, and put them on a bus to another Catholic church in Washington, DC, she said.

There, the church put the family on another bus to New York and they were dropped off in Upper Manhattan on Sunday.

Some of the migrants who Mayor Adams says are overcrowding the city’s homeless shelters have no connection to New York.
Thomas E. Gaston

From there, the couple and their children – aged 2 to 8 – traveled to the Bronx homeless shelter where they were told there were no beds available and they were sent to a hotel in Brooklyn.

Since then, they have been returning to the center every day in the hope of finding beds there and rejoining friends they traveled with from Venezuela.

In the meantime, Prada said, there is no guarantee that there will be an available room at the hotel each night they return.

“I’m hesitant to go, but hope to get a room,” she said Wednesday night, speaking to the Post in Spanish.

“We’ll use the instructions they give us and go over here and see if they’ll let us stay. The majority of those who left were turned back.

These migrants were directed to the city by President Biden.

Another migrant at the reception center, Jorge Parada, 35, said he, his wife and their four children – aged 14 to 28 – left Caracas, Venezuela, and entered San Antonio on July 2 .

Parada said friends who entered the United States earlier went to New York and he decided he wanted to go there too.

When asked why, he replied: “Adventure”.

“It looks like a place we would like to live,” he said.

“It reminds us of our home. It is a metropolis. »

Parada said his friends told him about staying at the welcome center, so after his family met with immigration officials in San Antonio, he bought tickets to take a Greyhound bus to town.

Once they arrived, they headed straight for the reception center, where they were housed at the Wales Family Residence in the Bronx.

Parada said he hoped to qualify for two years of “assisted living”, but was told on Tuesday “we weren’t eligible”.

“They told us to come back and show up again and ask for another date to see if we qualify going forward,” he said.

On Tuesday, Adams said more than 2,800 asylum-seeking migrants have entered the city’s shelter system in recent weeks and he called on Biden to send “additional resources immediately” to help the city “because we serve both a rapidly growing shelter population and new clients seeking asylum.”

White House press secretary Katrine Jean-Pierre said Tuesday that federal officials said they “have been in contact” with the mayor’s office, but declined to comment further.

Jean-Pierre also asked reporters to contact the Federal Emergency Management Administration, which she said was “the lead agency,” but she did not return an inquiry Wednesday.

Additional reporting by Steven Nelson

Leave a Comment