Bought a food dehydrator but still haven’t found the right recipe to make you want to use it? Well, you’re in luck because we’ve put together a list of super delicious foods in dried form, which you can make from the comfort of your home. Here are the best recipes to try right now!
What’s the point of having a food dehydrator?
If you like to snack, you have to try these fantastic recipes to prepare in a dehydrator. From vegetable chips and jerky to fruit leather, these preparations are delicious and fun! Plus, dehydrated foods are surprisingly versatile. They are great for adding to other dishes as they retain their nutritional value.
Dehydrated fruit recipe: Banana chips
1. Preheat the oven to a temperature between 35˚C and 55˚C.
2. Take just ripe bananas and cut them into 0.5 cm slices.
3. Arrange the slices in a single layer on the dehydrator plate.
4. Dehydrate for 20 hours.
Feel free to get creative and use other favorite fruits! For example, I think mango and oranges would work great.
Dehydrated vegetable recipe with a food dehydrator: Dried tomatoes
Delicious, healthy and wonderfully rehydrating, sun-dried tomatoes are the perfect addition to a cold pasta salad.
- 900 to 1300 g of fresh tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Basil leaves – 10-12
- 2 cups olive oil
1. Clean and dry the tomatoes. Cut them into fairly thin slices, 0.5 cm thick or less.
2. Arrange your tomatoes on the racks of the dehydrator. Don’t overlap them.
3. Sprinkle the tomatoes with a little salt, pepper, dried basil and/or dried oregano. Cover and turn on the dehydrator at 60°C.
4. Let them dry for 6-8 hours, but check them after 6 hours to make sure they are not too dry. You want them to be slightly flexible. Flip them once halfway through the process.
5. Remove the tomatoes and put them in a jar with fresh basil leaves, rosemary sprigs, a little more salt, pepper, dried basil and dried oregano.
6. Cover them with oil and store them in the refrigerator in tightly closed jars. They should last 4 days.
Food dehydrator recipe: Dehydrated porcini mushrooms
1. First, clean the mushrooms. To do this, do not use water. Instead, clean them lightly with a paper towel or a soft brush.
2. You can choose to dry them whole or in slices (about 0.5-1 cm thick).
3. Arrange the mushrooms on the dehydrator tray(s) in a single layer, with some space between them – to allow air circulation. Be sure to pat the porcini mushrooms dry with a paper towel before putting them in the dehydrator, to remove any other excess water.
4. Dehydrate the mushrooms, in a single layer, at 55ºC until tough and dry. This process can take anywhere from 4 to 12 hours depending on the thickness of the mushrooms, the size of your batch in the device, and even the humidity. It is worth checking them every hour.
How to prepare mushroom powder to season dishes?
1. Place the dried mushrooms in a high speed food processor/blender and grind to a fine powder. You can sift the powder and mix the large pieces again or separate them into different containers.
2. For a quick seasoning of mushrooms: add a little salt when blending. Optional additions: garlic powder, red pepper flakes or chili powder.
Healthy Snacks: Beef Jerky
Use teriyaki sauce for an Asian-inspired beef jerky or opt for lime, cumin, chili powder and garlic for a Southwestern vibe.
- 1 kg Scottish fillet
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sweet pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
1. Cut the steak into thin strips.
2. Mix the marinade ingredients in a non-reactive container, such as glass.
3. Place the steak strips in the marinade and refrigerate overnight or at least 4 hours.
4. Remove the meat from the marinade and place the beef strips on the shelves of the dehydrator. Make sure there is enough space between the pieces to allow air circulation. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes depending on the heat level you prefer.
5. Set the dehydrator to 70°C and allow the steak to dehydrate overnight. The length of time the meat is dehydrated will determine the texture of the beef jerky. Anything between 8 and 14 hours usually gives good results, but test the meat and turn off the food dehydrator when the desired result is achieved.
6. Beef jerky can be stored in a jar at room temperature and does not require refrigeration.